On October 2, 2010, tens of thousands of people (organizations) will march in solidarity at the Nation’s Capitol in order to protect our jobs, our education and our economy.
Their answer to the “Restoring Honor Rally” based on Faith, Hope and Charity.
The roots to the “grass roots” of the One Nation Working Together Rally.
Sponsors and Endorsers
- American Federation of Teachers
- Center for Community Change
- Communications Workers of America
- Green for All
- Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- National Action Network (Al Sharpton)
- National Council of La Raza
- Organizing for America
- Rainbow PUSH Coalition
- SEIU 1199
- SEIU: Service Employees International Union
- Sojourners (Jim Wallis)
- UAW, International Union
- United States Students Association
- A. Philip Randolph Institute
- A. Philip Randolph Institute – The Metropolitan New York Chapter
- Action LA Network
- AFSCME 3800 – University of Minnesota Clerical Workers
- AIDS Walk Washington
- All Hands on Deck
- Alliance for Democracy
- Amalgamated Local 171 UAW
- American Association of University Professors
- American Federation of Government Employees
- American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
- American Friends Service Committee
- American Muslim Association of North America (AMANA)
- American Rights at Work
- Americans for Democratic Action
- Americans for Financial Reform
- ANSWER (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) Coalition
- Bail Out the People Movement
- Bethel Tabernacle AME Church, Brooklyn
- Beulah Church of the Nazarene
- Black Leadership Forum, Inc.
- Black Women’s Roundtable
- Black Youth Vote
- Bronx for Change
- Brooklyn for Peace
- Brooklyn United for Innovative Local Development
- Brooklyn United for Innovative Local Development
- Bryn Mawr Peace Coalition
- California Black League of Voters
- California National Organization for Women
- Campaign for America’s Future
- Campaign for Community Change
- Campaign for Peace and Democracy
- Campus Camp Wellstone
- Campus Progress
- CEEF: Center for Community and Economic Justice
- Central Jersey Coalition Against Endless War
- Charlie Fink Productions
- Chicago Democratic Socialists of America
- Chicago Teacher’s Union – AFT Local 1
- Church of the Evangelical United Church of Christ
- Citizen Wave
- Clarendon Road Church
- Cleveland Peace Action
- Coalition for Peace Action
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists Region One
- Coalition of Labor Union Woman
- Coalition on Human Needs
- CODA (Coalition for a District Alternative)
- Code Pink
- Coffee Party Progressives
- Color of Change.org
- Committee of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism
- Communication for Social Change Consortium
- Communications Workers of America Local 2336
- Communist Party USA (CPUSA)
- Community Empowerment Network
- Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago
- Courage Campaign
- CUNY University Student Senate
- DC 1707, AFSCME
- DC Asian American and Pacific Islander Democratic Caucus
- DC Latino Caucus
- DC Vote
- Delaware Pacem in Terris
- Demand Equity Now
- Democracy for America
- Democratic Socialists of America
- Detroit Democratic Socialists of America
- Disciples Justice Action Network
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. DC Support Group
- Drum Major Institute
- Energy Action Coalition
- Equality Federation
- Equality Wisconsin, Inc.
- Ex-Offenders Association of PA
- Family Equality Council
- Fellowship of Reconcilliation
- Free Speech TV
- Friends of the Earth
- Friends of the Poor
- Fur Cultural Revival (Darfur Community Center)
- Gathering for Justice
- Gay Alliance of the Genesee Valley
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- General Board of Church and Society- United Methodist Church
- Generation Change
- Generational Alliance
- Georgia Peace and Justice Coalition
- Gertrude Stein Democratic Club
- Get Equal
- Gray Panthers
- Greater Allen A.M.E. Cathedral
- Green For All
- Haitian American Caucus
- Harlem Congregations for Community Improvement
- Harlem One Stop
- HOFADS Corp., Inc.
- Human Rights Campaign
- Humanist Party, New York City Chapter
- Illinois Single Payer Coalition
- Imani Group
- immigration Equality
- Injured Workers United
- Institute for Policy Studies
- Institute of Caribbean Studies
- Interfaith Worker Justice
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
- International Federation of Black Prides
- International Socialist Organization
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, AFL-CIO
- Iraq Veterans Against the War
- Jewish Arab Dialogue Association
- Jewish Funds for Justice
- Jewish Labor Committee
- Jobs with Justice
- Jordan / Rustin Coalition
- Latin America Solidarity Coalition
- Latino Action Coalition of DC
- Latino Equality Alliance
- Latino Federation of Greater Washington
- League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
- Left Labor Project
- Lemeul Haynes Congregational Church
- Lincoln Park Neighbors United for Peace, Chicago
- Long Island C.B.T.U.
- Maine Green Independent Party
- Majority Agenda Project
- Make the Road NY
- Maryland and DC AFL-CIO
- Maryland Black Family League
- Mass Equality
- Mass Transgender Political Coalition
- Mexican American Coalition
- Midwest Academy
- Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout
- Mother A.M.E. Zion Church
- National Alliance Against Racist and Political Oppression, Chicago Branch
- National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education
- National Association of Black Social Workers
- National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
- National Black Justice Coalition
- National Black L.U.V. Festival est. 1997
- National Black Law Students Association
- National Black Police Association
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- National Coalition on Black Civic Participation
- National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- National Congress of Black Women
- National Council of Negro Women
- National Domestic Workers Alliance
- National Education Association
- National Exhoodus Council
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- National Immigrant Solidarity Network
- National Jobs For All Coalition
- National Missionary Baptist Church
- National Network Opposing the Militarization of Youth
- National Nurses United
- National Organization for Women California
- National Stonewall Democrats
- National Union of Home and Health Care Employees
- National Urban League
- New England Region – AFSC
- New Haven Peoples Center
- New Jersey Black Issues Coalition
- New York City Democratic Socialists of America
- New York State AFL-CIO
- New York Urban League
- Next Step
- North Country Peace Group (Long Island)
- North Manhattan Neighbors for Peace and Justice
- North Suburban Peace Initiative
- Northeast Connecticut Coalition for Peace and Justice
- NY Coalition of 100 Black Women
- NYC LCLAA
- NYU Nursing Doctoral Students Organization
- Ohio AFL-CIO
- One of the 266 Wrongfully Terminated
- P.A.P.A.II People Assisting Positive Actions
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays National
- Pax Christi Metro DC-Baltimore
- Pax Christi USA
- Peace Action
- Peace Action Education Fund
- Peace Action Maine
- Peace Action Montgomery
- Peace and Freedom Party
- Pennsylvania Council of Churches
- People for the American Way
- People’s Organization for Progress
- People’s Organization for Progress
- Physicians for a National Health Program
- Planned Parenthood
- Pledge of Resistance – Baltimore
- Policy Link
- Prayer, Praise and Worship Centers of America
- Pride at Work
- Progress Ohio
- Progressive Congress Action Fund
- Progressive Democrats of America
- Progressive Democrats of America – NYS and NYC
- Queers for Economic Justice
- Reform Immigration for America
- Resurrection Temple of the Lord
- Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union
- Riverside Edgecombe Neighborhood Association (RENA)
- Roosevelt Institute
- School of Americas Watch (SoA Watch)
- SEIU Local 32BJ
- SEIU Local 722
- September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows
- Sikh Coalition
- Single Payer Action Network Ohio – SPAN Ohio
- Single Payer New York
- Society of American Law Teachers
- Stonewall Democratic Club
- Stonewall Democratic Club – Los Angeles
- Stonewall Young Democrats
- Student World Assembly
- Suffolk Peace Network
- Teamsters Local 808
- The Community Church of NY Unitarian Universalist
- The L.I.F.E. Institute
- The New Testement Revival Cathedral
- The New York Immigration Coalition
- The Opportunity Agenda
- The Other 98%
- The Power: The People United for LGBT Equality
- The Religious Institute
- Tikkun-Network of Spiritual Progressives
- TransAfrica Forum
- Transport Workers Union of America
- True Colors, Inc.
- TWU Local 100
- Unid@s LGBT- The National Latin@ LGBT Human Rights Organization
- Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations
- Unite Here
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union
- United Food and Commerical Workers Minority Coalition
- United for Peace and Justice
- United Mine Workers of America
- United Steel Workers
- Urban Agenda
- US Action
- US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation
- US Human Rights Network
- US Labor Against the War
- US Peace Council
- US Peace Council– Wisconsin
- Utility Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO
- Veterans for Peace
- Veterans for Peace NY
- Voice of Haitian Americans Inc.
- Voices for Creative Nonviolence
- WAND: Women’s Action for New Directions
- War Resisters League
- Ward 7 Business Professional Association
- Washington Peace Center
- Welfare Rights Committee
- Whitman Walker Clinic
- William Kelibrew Foundation
- Win Without War
- Witness Against Torture
- Women’s Caucus for Political Science
- Women’s Funding Network
- Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom
- Working America
- Working Families Party
- Ya Ya Network
- Young People For
- Young Communist League US
Lou Pritchett is one of corporate America’s true living legends- an acclaimed author, dynamic teacher and one of the world’s highest rated speakers. Successful corporate executives everywhere recognize him as the foremost leader in change management.. Lou changed the way America does business by creating an audacious concept that came to be known as “partnering.” Pritchett rose from soap salesman to Vice-President, Sales and Customer Development for Procter and Gamble and over the course of 36 years, made corporate history.
AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT OBAMA
Dear President Obama:
You are the thirteenth President under whom I have lived and unlike any of the others, you truly scare me.
You scare me because after months of exposure, I know nothing about you.
You scare me because I do not know how you paid for your expensive Ivy League education and your upscale lifestyle and housing with no visible signs of support.
You scare me because you did not spend the formative years of youth growing up in America and culturally you are not an American.
You scare me because you have never run a company or met a payroll.
You scare me because you have never had military experience, thus don’t understand it at its core.
You scare me because you lack humility and ‘class’, always blaming others.
You scare me because for over half your life you have aligned yourself with radical extremists who hate America and you refuse to publicly denounce these radicals who wish to see America fail..
You scare me because you are a cheerleader for the ‘blame America’ crowd and deliver this message abroad.
You scare me because you want to change America to a European style country where the government sector dominates instead of the private sector.
You scare me because you want to replace our health care system with a government controlled one.
You scare me because you prefer ‘wind mills’ to responsibly capitalizing on our own vast oil, coal and shale reserves.
You scare me because you want to kill the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world.
You scare me because you have begun to use ‘extortion’ tactics against certain banks and corporations.
You scare me because your own political party shrinks from challenging you on your wild and irresponsible spending proposals.
You scare me because you will not openly listen to or even consider opposing points of view from intelligent people.
You scare me because you falsely believe that you are both omnipotent and omniscient.
You scare me because the media gives you a free pass on everything you do.
You scare me because you demonize and want to silence the Limbaugh’s, Hannitys, ‘Reillys and Becks who offer opposing, conservative points of view.
You scare me because you prefer controlling over governing.
Finally, you scare me because if you serve a second term I will probably not feel safe in writing a similar letter in 8 years.
This letter was sent to the NY Times but they never acknowledged it.
Correctly Attributed by Snopes.com
Lou Pritchett rose from soap salesman to Vice-President, Sales and Customer Development for Procter and Gamble and over the course of 36 years, made corporate history as an “Agent of Change” at P&G. He stood at the vanguard of corporate futurists to challenge a hidebound corporate giant to face the future by creating the future, thus ensuring its continuing role as one of America’s great corporate success stories.
I’m currently too busy to post at length but for those that missed it, here is a look at the White House gal that went after Fox News Channel.
Get a closer look from Michelle Malkin.
Obama is a great politician, no doubt, he can craft a speech, throw it up on the teleprompter and hypnotize an audience.
It’s only natural that during a presidential campaign where you are scrutinized as never before that you would have seen how photos are used and how the “perfect moment” photo can be found within video. I’m sure Obama is aware of this.
So at the Summit of the Americas when Hugo Chavez, a lying, murdering, dictator, jumps up and comes around the table to give Obama a book, Obama shakes his hand… The book was, “The Open Veins of Latin America” by Eduardo Galeano, a socialist who trashes and blames America and those of European descent (white) for all the ills of South America. Full of created and manipulated history, the same rubbish that has been hurled at the United States by leftist dictators for decades …you capitalist pig.
Here is the photo that Chavez has released around the world which shows Obama not only shaking his hand but pointing at the book as they clasp hands. Looks like a recommendation and apparently it has worked out very well for Chavez as the book came from 54,000 and skyrocketed to #2 on Amazon.com, second only to “Liberty and Tyranny” 🙂
Now I watched the video of this brief interlude several times and the photo that you see of Obama pointing his finger at the book was a split second movement toward the end of the handshake, it happened very quickly. You could easily miss it if you weren’t looking for it. But the “perfect moment” photo was there.
Here’s the video. Watch how quickly his finger moves (points). Yet the photo above give the impression he was standing there pointing at the book. This is what is meant by “used for propoganda”, yet…
Now I ask you, have you ever pointed your finger quickly at the end of a hand shake like that? Oh, you might point your finger when the handshake was finished like “you da man”. But that’s not what happened. Obama pointed very quickly and brought his finger back in for the release of the handshake.
I’m not a nut and I feel strange analysing a handshake this closely but it is weird and the more I see it the weirder it looks.
Later this was reported:
“I want to be your friend,”Chavez was quoted as telling Obama by the Venezuelan government. (you ignoramous)
There has been a lot of concern over the level of apologizing and the characterization of America’s policies and actions by Obama in his speeches abroad. Obama has depicted America as arrogant, divisive, derisive, and our actions fighting terrorist as “the dark and painful chapter in our history”.
These are exactly the perspectives presented in the book Chavez gave Obama and Obama has been apologizing for them on each of his trips abroad.
Simply put, Obama is saying America’s past actions have been questionable, BUT NOW, now that he is President this has all changed. Now we can be proud of America.
Wait a minute, where have I heard that.?
Once again we’re tripping through the fog. I’m discussing something that is an inane as “should a captain of a 747 have a gun in the cockpit of a vessel transporting citizens”. Should a merchant marine have an AK-47 on board his ship carrying millions of dollars worth of cargo.
But there is this:
RELEASED: The Bush Administration’s Secret Legal Memos On April 16, 2009, the Department of Justice released four secret memos used by the Bush administration to justify torture.
The Obama administration has declassified and released opinions of the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) given in 2005 and earlier that analyze the legality of interrogation techniques authorized for use by the CIA.
I have read the documents, you can find them online.
I’m appalled that we have been bullied into making this classified information public. While true the dems (progressives) will feel warm and fuzzy for a few days and superpowers such as Belgium and Spain will like us for a few weeks. Then it’s back to business with America further weakened.
Each war we fight finds us facing a new enemy with new methods of attack. This enemy has seen inside America like no other. They don’t need field operatives, or clandestine networks to gain information to use against us, they only have needed a TV. Many may have lived and studied in America. They’ve seen and understand how powerful public opinion is in America. Unlike other countries in the world, America is a true democracy where public opinion means something because it translates to votes.
And defeats suffered from public opinion can be just as grave as those suffered on the battlefield.
This administration has gone well beyond reaching out to other countries. Obama used every opportunity in Europe, Mexico and South America to apologize for America’s past behavior.
“Please like me, I realize I’ve done some things you don’t like but I’ve changed”… didn’t work in high school and doesn’t work on the world stage… can you say Jimmy Carter… can you pronounce naiveté.
During the founding of this country there were many who wanted Europe’s favor. It is only natural to want to be liked but entering alliances that weaken or give governing authority over American citizens and policies only weaken us.
“Nothing is so important as that America shall separate herself from the systems of Europe, and establish one of her own. Our circumstances, our pursuits, our interests, are distinct. The principles of our policy should be so also. All entanglements with that quarter of the globe should be avoided if we mean that peace and justice shall be the polar stars of the American societies.” –Thomas Jefferson
The true theory of our Constitution is surely the wisest and best, that the States are independent as to everything within themselves, and united as to everything respecting foreign affairs. Let the General Government be reduced to foreign concerns only, and let our affairs be disentangled from those of all other nations, except as to commerce, which the merchants will manage the better, the more they are left free to manage for themselves, and our General Government may be reduced to a very simple organization, and a very inexpensive one; a few plain duties to be performed by a few servants. — Thomas Jefferson
The great rule of conduct for us, in regard to foreign nations, is in extending our commercial relations to have as little political connection as possible… Why, by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and prosperity in the toils of European ambition, rivalships, interest, humor, or caprice?… It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world. — George Washington
Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence, (I conjure you to believe me fellow citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake; since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of Republican Government. –George Washington
Because of the mainstream media and PC (Politically Correctness) I venture to say that many people and all progressives when hearing the words of our founders, not knowing who said them, would classify the person as a red-neck.
Now contrast the above quotes with this one
This present window of opportunity, during which a truly peaceful and interdependent world order might be built, will not be open for too long – We are on the verge of a global transformation. All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the New World Order. — David Rockefeller
Once again we see how this view relies on a crisis to instigate change. They know that when given the opportunity to know the facts Americans would not be onboard.
Rom Emmanuel and Hillary Clinton have also said: “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste… ”
I digress… but it is important you realize why America is the most successful nation in mankind’s history. In order to understand that you need to understand the government that was laid out for it to prosper in a way that it has.
With the release of these Secret CIA Memos President Obama seeks to move beyond what he calls “a dark and painful chapter in our history” once again apologizing for America.
These incidents of enhanced interrogation against terrorist who are not affiliated with any recognized country or government saved American lives. Period.
These terrorist who are just that. They prey on fear, killing innocent women and children. They are not warriors, or solders fighting under any nation’s flag or “rules of war”
Yet through public opinion and the media the have been elevated to the status of fair and equal treatment afforded solders of war found in The Geneva Conventions.
The declassification and release of these secret memos accomplishes several things.
They outline in detail just how careful we were to avoid physically or mentally hurting these prisoners during any enhanced interrogation. Believe me, this ain’t the way Jack Bauer does it on 24.
I know most people will never see these documents but I sincerely believe if they did they would either be shocked at how benign the techniques were or more likely they wouldn’t believe it. Believing instead that there most be some “ultra secret” interrogation methods. Thinking people will have a hard time believing this was what all the controversy was about.
Prior to interrogation, each detainee is evaluated by medical and psychological professionals from the CIA’s Office of Medical Services (“OMS”) to ensure that he is not likely to suffer any severe physical or mental pain or suffering as a result of interrogation.
Advanced approval is required for all “enhanced” measures and is ‘conditional on on-site medical and psychological personnel confirming from direct detainee examination that the enhanced technique(s) is not expected to produce “severe physical or mental pain or suffering.'” As a practical.matter, the detainee’s physical condition must be such that these interventions will not have’ lasting effect, and his psychological state strong enough that no severe psychological harm will result.
Prisoners were given full medical and psychological evaluation prior to, during and after interrogations.
Other than waterboarding you may have heard of another technique called “Walling”. The media would have reported this as “banging heads against a wall until they talk”. Here’s the way that really went down.
Walling. This technique involves the use of a flexible, false wall. The individual is placed with his heels touching the flexible wall. The interrogator pulls,the individual forward and then quickly and firmly pushes the individual into the wall. It’s the individual’s shoulder blades that hit the wall. During this motion, the head and neck are supported with a rolled hood or towel that provides a col1ar effect to help prevent whiplash. To reduce further the risk of injury, the individual is allowed to rebound from the flexible wall. The false wall is also constructed to create aloud noise when the individual hits it in order to increase the shock or surprise of the technique.
A flexible wall and neck support… Once again “Medical and psychological personnel are physically present”
and on waterboarding:
The “waterboard.” ln this technique, the detainee is lying on a gurney that is
inclined at an angle of 10 to I5 degrees to the horizontal, with the detainee on his back and his head toward the lower end of the gurney . A cloth is placed over the detainee’s face, and cold water is poured on the cloth from a height of approximately § to 18 inches.
A single “application” of water may not last for more than 40 seconds, with the duration of an “application” measured from the moment when water-,of whatever quantity(s) first poured onto the cloth until the moment the cloth is removed from the subjects face.
A comfortable water temperature is also required.
During the use of the waterboard, a physician and a psychologist are present at all times. The detainee is monitored to ensure that he does not develop, respiratory distress.
The effect of the waterboard is to induce a sensation of drowning. This sensation is based on a deeply rooted physiological response. Thus the detainee experiences this sensation even if he is aware that he Is not actually drowning. We are informed that based on extensive experience the process is not physically painful but that it usually does cause fear and panic.
it appears that the individual undergoing the technique is not in fact completely prevented from breathing, but his airflow is restricted
by the wet cloth, creating a sensation of drowning,
Fear and Panic…
The extensive experience mentioned in the above excerpt was gained from our on troops. Waterboarding is a part of the SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) training and has been employed on thousands of our soldiers.
The document goes on to completely outline in detail over a dozen other methods but waterboarding and walling are the two that get the most press. I confess I can’t understand why we haven’t heard more about the dreaded Facial Hold.
Facial hold. This technique is used to hold the head immobile during interrogation. One open palm is placed on either side of the individual’s face. The fingertips are kept well away from the individual’s eyes.
… the humanity!
If anything the release of these documents just reaffirms how humane a country America is. And as Dennis Miller said so eloquently “we don’t need to prove that”.
On waterboardlng Dennis Miller said it best.
Something that takes somebody who’s willing to strap a bomb on and yet freaks them out to the point where they’ll tell you where the next bomb is by pouring water down their nose and they don’t even die, I think, wow, this is heaven-sent.” I mean, there is no physical damage, no long term trauma, not even a hangover.
Waterboarding is like a gift from God.
I know that we want to prove that we are more human than our terrorist enemies but simply put, we don’t have to prove it, we are.
On foreign relations Tony Soprano said it best:
“You don’t have to like me, but you will respect me” — Tony Soprano
One argument against these methods and for the release of these memos has been that the terrorist have used torture by America as a recruiting tool. That may be true, but do you honestly think this will slow down or inhibit their recruiting. They use whatever tools they are given. They already use the Army Field Manual. Now they’ll be able to tell young recruits how little they have to fear if captured and training them for these specific techniques in the event they should ever be used anywhere. And speaking of propaganda recruiting tools, they’ll be doing this as they show Obama bowing to the Saudi King and buddying up to Hugo Chavez.
These are the people who beheaded Nicholas Berg and Daniel Pearl, and have tortured and slain other countless other American captives, not to mention the thousands of Americans they’ve killed. I don’t think they are likely to be shamed into giving up violence by this latest news.
An article posted in the Wall Street Journal by General Michael Hayden, former Director of the National Security Agency and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. From April 21, 2005–May 26, 2006 he was the Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence, a position which once made him “the highest-ranking military intelligence officer in the armed forces.”
and Michael B. Mukasey, the 81st Attorney General of the United States proclaims that by allowing this disclosure, President Obama has tied not only his own hands but also the hands of any future administration faced with the prospect of attack.
Which brings us to the next of the justifications for disclosing and thus abandoning these measures: that they don’t work anyway, and that those who are subjected to them will simply make up information in order to end their ordeal.
But confessions aren’t the point. Intelligence is. Interrogation is conducted by using such obvious approaches as asking questions whose correct answers are already known and only when truthful information is provided proceeding to what may not be known. Moreover, intelligence can be verified, correlated and used to get information from other detainees, and has been; none of this information is used in isolation.
The terrorist Abu Zubaydah (sometimes derided as a low-level operative of questionable reliability, but who was in fact close to KSM and other senior al Qaeda leaders) disclosed some information voluntarily. But he was coerced into disclosing information that led to the capture of Ramzi bin al Shibh, another of the planners of Sept. 11, who in turn disclosed information which — when combined with what was learned from Abu Zubaydah — helped lead to the capture of KSM and other senior terrorists, and the disruption of follow-on plots aimed at both Europe and the U.S. Details of these successes, and the methods used to obtain them, were disclosed repeatedly in more than 30 congressional briefings and hearings beginning in 2002, and open to all members of the Intelligence Committees of both Houses of Congress beginning in September 2006. Any protestation of ignorance of those details, particularly by members of those committees, is pretense.
Director Hayden, as late as 2006…fully half of the government’s knowledge about the structure and activities of al Qaeda came from those interrogations.
You can read the article, The President Ties His Own Hands on Terror : The point of interrogation is intelligence, not confession here.
as they speak further of cycles of timidity and aggression” that have weakened intelligence gathering in the past.
With the release of these memos Obama said Thursday that “CIA officials who used harsh interrogation tactics during the Bush administration will not be prosecuted>. But watch, as a result of these memos being made public there will be countless lawsuits and investigations. Maybe the CIA officials who used these harsh interrogation tactics have been protected but their of many other good-intentioned officials who are not so protected.
My question is, Why? Why did we release this. The President could make a statement that we do not use these methods and that should be enough. We are America, the country that more than once have saved Europe, the world, from totalitarian rule.
I don’t know, I haven’t heard any convincing argument or explanation.
I do know once again we’ve been hit. Maybe not by missiles, jumbo jets or IEDs but we’ve been damaged and it was done using public opinion.
Or maybe we really do have “ultra secret” interrogation methods. I sure hope so.